10/28/2010

Cake Batter

Heather here. Sometimes I have an experience that I think I should blog about this, but don't feeling intimidated by the need for a fancy picture, clever title and wording blah blah. Guess what? I don't care today. For posterity sake I just want to note that for the first time in 18 years I made a cake by myself this week and it was horribly lonesome. Where did all my kitchen helpers go? Granted, there were many days with two or three helpers by my side, when I would ask myself does making a cake really have to be THIS messy? The answer...yes it most definitely does and should. Anything fun really should cause an extravagant mess. So I prepared the batter in a snap, popped the cake in the oven...thinking the entire time this is painfully boring. No one fighting to crack the egg, lick the beater, threatening to loose a digit by sneaking a finger in the rotating KitchenAid. I go to the sink and there it is. The empty mixing bowl with all the unused chocolate cake batter just waiting to be licked. My mind flashed to tiny Clayton, Eli, Chloe, Liam and Kate. Each tackling the bowl in there own way. Some tidy, methodical...Kate and Eli managing to wear it everywhere-hair and all. I really could have sobbed there for a good hour. I don't even like chocolate cake which left me no choice but to wash the bowl. Again, boring.

Our babies growing up has been a heart wrenching event for D and I. I am going to get a grip someday...right?

2 comments:

  1. Amy here.
    First off can I just second the thought that these may be the hardest days of our lives? What?! Our kids just think they can throw on a backpack & go off to public learning everyday--after all we've done for them!?
    Thank you for sharing & next time, please scrape that chocolate batter into a zip loc & save it for your sister. BTW, if your aloud to jump on D's blog & just ramble with no pictures or catchy titles...maybe I'm ready to join the blogosphere. Hmmmmm.
    P.S. ask D is there's some kind of award for the longest comment posted. I think i won.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heather, that post almost made me cry! :(

    ReplyDelete